Monday, October 20, 2014

The Aloha State

A childhood dream came true when I finally had the possibility to visit Hawaii (Hawaiʻi in Hawaiian) last week. The mythical paradise islands in the Pacific ocean have fascinated me as long as I can remember.

Maybe it all started after having read "Pam's Paradise Ranch: A story of Hawaii" (1940) by Armine von Tempski, a novel that addressed two of my biggest interests at the time: horses and palm trees.

Yeah, I was about ten years old.

Hawaii is the 50th and most recent (1959) of the United States of America. The state compromises hundreds of island but the eight main ones are Niʻihau, Kauaʻi, Oʻahu (home of the capital Honolulu), Molokaʻi, Lānaʻi, Kahoʻolawe, Maui and the Island of Hawaiʻi. The culture has Asian and North American influences as well as native Hawaiian.

Hawaii and Oahu (the island we visited) did not disappoint me. It really was a paradise island! A tropical climate, azure blue water, great food, a beautiful and dramatic landscape with beaches, rainforests and volcanoes paired with a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

I am definitely going back!




No comments:

Post a Comment