Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Empire State

While staying in Boston I also took the opportunity to visit my dear friend "fysikern" who is currently residing in New York doing his post-doc at Columbia University.

I took the train from Boston and four hours later I was arriving at Penn Station in NY (unfortunately less impressive than Grand Central Station). It was a very pleasant ride passing through the scenic landscapes of Massachusetts and Connecticut. 

"Fysikern" met me at the station and we started off with a pretzel (When in Rome...) for lunch and headed towards Central Park and "Tavern on the Green which" "fysikern" claimed had the reputation of being "both bad and expensive". It was neither actually and we enjoyed a (or two....) glass of wine before walking to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The entrance fee of 25 $ is merely a recommendation and you can pay only a few dollars if you wish to. I paid too much of course considering we arrived 45 min before closing.

After the stint at the museum we had dinner at my beloved Le Colonial. A Vietnamese restaurant in Midtown. After dinner and before heading back to my friend's apartment on Upper West Side we had a drink containing tequila and beer at a Mexican bar in East Village.

The next morning I visited my friend's office at Columbia University before WALKING the 90+ blocks to Penn Station (each block took about 1 minute so I was walking briskly for 1,5 hours) and jumping on the train back to Boston.

Well, I know people say that NY is the greatest city in the world and it does have a magnetic vibe and high energy but I do prefer laid back and sunny San Francisco.


"Tavern on the Green" was not at all as bad as we thought. I enjoyed a glass of chardonnay (which I suspect is the most popular grape in USA).


Columbia University! I seem to be on a journey to visit all of the most respected universities in USA. But that is not the case :)

The view from my friend's "fikarum" at Columbia University. All the rooms and offices had floor to ceiling windows.


Recognize this? Yep, it is the "Seinfeld diner" on Upper West Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment